Indian Navy Developments & Discussions

abingdonboy

Country flag
whats the point of conventionally powered 70k tonne carrier make a full nuclear carrier smaller vessles can easily guard and perform indian ocean blockade much more efficiently than the cbg plus navy gets the smalest piece of pie from the defence budget too
Every time this nonsense gets posted

Indians need to stop thinking about the present and realise time does not stop- the Chinese are looking 10-40 years down the line. Indian planners at most are thinking 3-5

is India a peer to China or not? Come the 2040s India will have the 2nd or 3rd largest economy on the planet. Should it have a defensive coastal security force even then?

to be a big boy you have to act like one,if it was left to some Indians India wouldn’t even have destroyers

abingdonboy

Country flag
I am not worried about the three Carriers they have now. These will teach them how to operate carriers, and how to operate air groups effectively.

I AM WORRIED about the carriers that follow this though.
What’s shocking is the lack of continuation on every single project

it’s utterly criminal to induct any class without their successors being in the shipyard instead CSL has been left holding the bag and had to shift their expertise elsewhere and they will soon be lost to natural attrition.

Vikky will be gone in 10 years I’m sure of it so the IN will be a continuous 2 carrier navy for decades going by their own plans, at that point the force is so token and insignificant you may as well have none.

abingdonboy

Country flag
3 aircraft carriers operating at all times are enough to cover the IOR, the IOR itself is massive and India has zero interest in being engaged in conflicts halfway across the globe.
Also given our limited funds ATM, majority of the focus should be on building up our submarine fleet which to put it in kind words, not exactly in the best of shape.
P75I, P76 and P75A should be our focus as these projects aren't as CAPEX intensive as a 70k ton nuclear propelled flat-top.
Any Carrier Task Force entering the IOR will always feel the threat of something they cannot see lurking in the deep ready to strike if things go south.
How things are today is how they will always be?

India genuinely doesn’t deserve to have a permanent UNSC seat given this is the prevailing wisdom of most. The Turks or Koreans with the resources and potential of India would have very very different outlooks

abingdonboy

Country flag
So Government shipyards underbid, take some fat commission and then sub-contract to L&T, is it?
Not sure how that works- how can they be taking a commission and sub-contracting? They just have much lower fixed costs than their competitors so can make absurd bids. At least they have the sense to tap into the private sector to get their contracts complete

PSUs shouldn’t exist and DPSUs definitely shouldn’t. I welcome another Modi term because divestment has gone a long way under him and unions have been unable to call the shots

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
from the same GRSE call that was reported a few days back..
1.2 lakh crore future naval orders in pipeline (including CG)
======
Now, coming to the value of 1,20,000 crore order, the first one is the what I had mentioned at the point of time that these are the things which are likely to come up in a span of 3-5 years. Now, one of them is definitely the Next Generation Corvette projects. The second one that is likely to come up is the multi-purpose system. The third is the Next Generation Survey Vessel. The fourth is 120 Fast Interceptor Craft (FIC) for the Navy. When there is a project for two in number landing platform for the Indian Navy, then there are more platforms again coming up like the Coast Guard is looking for an 18 Next Generation Fast Patrol Vessel. So, all put together in a span of 3-5 years, likely order value is to the tune of 1,20,000 crore. Now, for this, depending upon the capacity, at best capacity means in terms of for building capacity and the capability, Navy and Coast Guard have shortlisted shipyards. And just to give you, one example, as I mentioned, there are 7 shipyards as stated, 4 + 1 + L&T plus a couple of small shipyards, but all of these seven or eight shipyards for the NGC project as of now, only four shipyards are shortlisted. So, this 1,20,000 that is coming in the next 3-5 years, depending upon the classification and the capability some of us qualify. So, in a very conservative manner, if you put it across, a substantial amount of this would come to GRSE too, that is a statement which I had mentioned about the orders on the anvil.

abingdonboy

Country flag
from the same GRSE call that was reported a few days back..
1.2 lakh crore future naval orders in pipeline (including CG)
======
Now, coming to the value of 1,20,000 crore order, the first one is the what I had mentioned at the point of time that these are the things which are likely to come up in a span of 3-5 years. Now, one of them is definitely the Next Generation Corvette projects. The second one that is likely to come up is the multi-purpose system. The third is the Next Generation Survey Vessel. The fourth is 120 Fast Interceptor Craft (FIC) for the Navy. When there is a project for two in number landing platform for the Indian Navy, then there are more platforms again coming up like the Coast Guard is looking for an 18 Next Generation Fast Patrol Vessel. So, all put together in a span of 3-5 years, likely order value is to the tune of 1,20,000 crore. Now, for this, depending upon the capacity, at best capacity means in terms of for building capacity and the capability, Navy and Coast Guard have shortlisted shipyards. And just to give you, one example, as I mentioned, there are 7 shipyards as stated, 4 + 1 + L&T plus a couple of small shipyards, but all of these seven or eight shipyards for the NGC project as of now, only four shipyards are shortlisted. So, this 1,20,000 that is coming in the next 3-5 years, depending upon the classification and the capability some of us qualify. So, in a very conservative manner, if you put it across, a substantial amount of this would come to GRSE too, that is a statement which I had mentioned about the orders on the anvil.

No mention of P-17AUs?

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
No mention of P-17AUs?
these are future orders, P-17 A they already have the contract.
go thru the call transcript in the link, search for P17.

The order book as on 31st March 2024 stands at 22,652.68 crore. This order book mainly consists of orders from the Shipbuilding sector comprising of 22,593 crore, with the P17 Alpha Project having a value of 12,174 crore, Survey Vessel Large Project of 940 crore, the AntiSubmarine Shallow Water Craft Project of 4,886 crore and the Next Generation Ocean Going Petrol Vessel at 3,359 crore.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles