DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

Knight0000

Guys how many long range are we actually using and developing?(1000+ or more)
Like we currently have
1. Upgraded swordfish radar or superswordfish radar(indigenously) , swordfish was made with help of Israel's and is an acknowdged derivative of green line radars. It is also known has LRTR radar , range:- 1500km
2. We have brought and deployed two green pine(elm 2080) , range:-1000+
3. We have deployed 1 elm 2090 radar , range :- 2000
4. OTH radar (indigenous? ) , range:- 3000+
We are currently developing
1. LRR radar ( long range radar ) , range :- 1000+
2. VLRTR ( very long range tracking radar ) , range :- 2000+
3. VLRR( very long range radar ) , range:- unknown

Other than that
We have a radar which will replace mf star for navy and is deployed on INS ANVESH

Please add more into this post and please create a proper for radar s thread for radar loving people like me

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Why is the missile so big and having such long range? Why can't it be 100km range and launched by a ship or 50km one launched by a naval ASW helicopter? That would be more helpful for immediate action
No it wouldn't... Less range is almost never better. More options is always better.
Long reach will allow for more area denial. Say a sub is detected on surface by a P-8i 300km away from a nearest ship. You can't wait for ASW vessel to reach within range. It'll slip.

Torpedos on warship are mostly for self-protection by deterrence, SMART is an offensive weapon.

Blood+

Country flag
No it wouldn't... Less range is almost never better. More options is always better.
Long reach will allow for more area denial. Say a sub is detected on surface by a P-8i 300km away from a nearest ship. You can't wait for ASW vessel to reach within range. It'll slip.

Torpedos on warship are mostly for self-protection by deterrence, SMART is an offensive weapon.
Exactly. Plus, with SMART, the sub it is zeroing in on, may not even realize what danger it's in before its too late already.

mist_consecutive

Golgappe Expert
Contributor
Country flag
Bruh. just tell me how frequently Apache crash landed of 30 something we have ,
and how many Dhruvs out of 300s.
3 times since delivery

Dhruv, multiple times more including crashes due to structural/design issues. But this is a bad comparision and I am not trying to shit on Dhruv.

I am just trying to highlight phoren =/= bad & corruption and indigenous =/= beshttt & underrrated.

Jane de bhai mere, usne 'PSU sucks, Private industry rocks' ka churan gatak liya hai.
ZQZW7BTo8mbpiTI3By6MmeP3UZqiS_q-jQ2v4LeSWRM.jpeg

Samej Jangir

Country flag
ar

archer ng is smaller faster has only one engine cheaper and carrier roughly same payload at higher altitude and has higher endurance by design

they should have the tapas to do testing and all like put turboprop new engines and sensors by design it cant fulfil the requirements without getting a more powerful engine
That is also why Archer is not as useful as Tapas for surveillance. Why do you think Tapas has 2 engines and larger body? It is because the sensors like SAR, ELINT, SIGINT, SATCOM, E/O sensors, IIR sensors etc need lot of power. If the engines are small, there won't be enough power for the sensors which would compromise its surveillance capability.

Tapas does not need turboprop engine as diesel engine is significantly more fuel efficient and 360HP of power is quite a lot for 2ton MTOW and using sensors during cruise mode. Yes, turboprop is better for speed and maneuverability but India does not need Tapas as a UCAV as in any contested airspace, UAV/UCAV will drop like flies. UAVs are only useful in real wars as a surveillance platform. Tapas is best suited for surveillance.

Samej Jangir

Country flag
It
It is just a PR stunt the model they showed just a wooden model not even proto, startup's do this to get initial funding also the proto lack any kind of aerodynamic Charterstics, am not an aerospace engineer but any one who have common sense can apply simple logic where this kind of body can be lifted by a 4 2 bladed props with less than 10 inch diameter, I am pretty sure that it just another scam getting pulled of in name of made in India equipments, mostly after few months they get knockdown kits from some Chinese supplier via Singapore or Malaysian proxy compines and put made in India sticker on it
It looks like a helium balloon, not a plane! It is a scam and any investor who believes him is a fool. The startup is just a front company for black money or other agendas or they are genuine fools

Blood+

Country flag
3 times since delivery

Dhruv, multiple times more including crashes due to structural/design issues. But this is a bad comparision and I am not trying to shit on Dhruv.

I am just trying to highlight phoren =/= bad & corruption and indigenous =/= beshttt & underrrated.

View attachment 251550
Do you even realize how cringe that is?? Like bruh, you a 5 year old or somethin'??

vishnugupt

Country flag
Did they quote who's number are these? Did the IN especially informed them about their own evaluation trials?
The numbers vary from operator to operator and with terrain on top off that! Israeli use the Hermes-900 as both Surveillance and Attack UAS on the same mission! We have procured these for surveillance only, hence the parameters vary.

Too much cost to involve foreign partners to improve Tapas!
its the vice-versa, 60% of Tapas's electronics are Israeli and Israeli ToT, you want to replace Israeli tech with Israeli tech?:D
Even Archer-NG is a Heron MkII all set to be produced in India by HAl with ToT from the OEM!
You are speaking Dallas language, if not then tell us exact endurance and flight ceiling of Hermes??

60% Israeli electronics ?? Give us break down of these electronics also.

Otherwise don't come here for lecturing us

vishnugupt

Country flag
3 times since delivery

View attachment 251550
Ambitious countries like India should buy weapons to fight, not for exhibitions.

Indigenization is the only way forward. Bringing foreign weapons as alternative is opposite the purpose.

You can criticise indigenous products and suggest the improvement but advocating their replacement or overlook by foreign weapons is a crime.

Blood+

Country flag
Ambitious countries like India should buy weapons to fight, not for exhibitions.

Indigenization is the only way forward. Bringing foreign weapons as alternative is opposite the purpose.

You can criticise indigenous products and suggest the improvement but advocating their replacement or overlook by foreign weapons is a crime.
arey wo khud bideshi maal hai.

vishnugupt

Country flag

But it is fashionable to shit on any imported platform so this will be treated as completely normal phenomenon.
Yes, you should as UN armed forces with heavy heart operating more than 300 dhruv meanwhile 5-10 foreign fancy toys in every segments.

So you can expect small issue in large fleet which can be fixed in months meanwhile you yet have retrieve Apache from Himalay.

Aditya Ballal

Country flag

But it is fashionable to shit on any imported platform so this will be treated as completely normal phenomenon.
Completely disagree, when the Indian Navy ALH MK3 ditched in the sea recently due to some issues, the entire ecosystem on Social Media and both Print as well as Digital Media Peddlers went berserk on the entire ALH family of helicopters.
Compare that with the timid reaction to the emergency landing of the AH-64 Apache helicopter in Ladakh, no such response even took place. Despite recent groundings and crashes of the type in the US.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles