DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

SwordOfDarkness

Country flag
Internal combustion, your basic piston in shell assembly you see typically
Ahhk. I was confused cause all the engines you listed are IC engines only, just different types.

Though do you have any figures for piston engine power-to-weight? Im not sure it matches up with what I know even for larger engines (eg light aircraft engines, with around 1.3 instead of 3 for one I could find.). I assume you are saying horsepower to weight here.

Lonewolf

Psychopathic Neighbour
Country flag
Ahhk. I was confused cause all the engines you listed are IC engines only, just different types.

Though do you have any figures for piston engine power-to-weight? Im not sure it matches up with what I know even for larger engines (eg light aircraft engines, with around 1.3 instead of 3 for one I could find.). I assume you are saying horsepower to weight here.
Poster quoted in HP so that's the unit i used

NutCracker

Country flag
Turboprops have power to weight ratio in range of 3+, same for IC engine, turbofan are much more efficient but that's totally different
I'm searching for Rotax ones , used by Byrakther and Tapas etc. 3 is way too much, unheard of.

" The 915 iS’s power-to-weight ratio is 0.72 HP/lb. while the 912 iS is 0.58 HP/lb. Looking at other engines in the Rotax line, the stalwart 912 ULS has a power-to-weight ratio of 0.80 HP/lb., using the Rotax dry weight data. The turbocharged 914, with its old-school carburetion, tops the line at 0.82 HP/lb. "

NutCracker

Country flag
I'm searching for Rotax ones , used by Byrakther and Tapas etc. 3 is way too much, unheard of.

" The 915 iS’s power-to-weight ratio is 0.72 HP/lb. while the 912 iS is 0.58 HP/lb. Looking at other engines in the Rotax line, the stalwart 912 ULS has a power-to-weight ratio of 0.80 HP/lb., using the Rotax dry weight data. The turbocharged 914, with its old-school carburetion, tops the line at 0.82 HP/lb. "

It translates to less than 2HP/kg

Chinmoy

Country flag
even if we assume there are such ideas out there, those can be taken seriously only when they come from established players (DPSU + private) who are already part of the industry. otherwise it will end up looking like that fellow who is showing off his bomber uav past week.

solar industries bhargavastra falls in the innovation category you are thinking of?

View attachment 252124
I'd like to differ on the DPSU+Private player here. When you bring in PSU, you are bringing in public tax money and CAG along with. The moment they are in, there is bound to be unwanted audit and parliamentary discussion resulting in the same old mess we are in as of now.
DPSU involvement should be upto the extent of providing their manufacturing and testing facility to bring down the development cost.

Yes. Bhargavastra do fall under that category. IA has not yet put forward any requirement for such a system. But EEL has taken the initiative in this regard. So basically its one of a kind system out there and they are infact creating demand for this instead of waiting for IA to come up and ask for such a system.

Chinmoy

Country flag
This could be done by proactively getting the design ready and presenting the product to user for trials before user could come up with the requirement.

who would give money for this trial product and if user shoots it down or gives sky high requirements money goes down the drain . honestly seem like hopeless case
Hopeless is the case when you think that what ever jumble you put up, have to get accepted.

Let me give you a layman example. What if you want to setup a grocery store in your locality? Would you go around your locality with stamp paper taking signoff on it that, all in your locality are bound to buy grocery from your store after it opens? Or would you try to promote your business and invest on it for a year before seeking profit out of it?

Now coming to practical defense situation. Heard about Boston Dynamics? The robotic dog Spot got rejected by Marines for whom it was designed. In India, they would have gaslighted the issue. But what have they done? They have taken feedback from user and came up with Mk3 recently. Even today they are awaiting order, but instead of crying foul, they are working on further improvement and culminating the improvement seek.

But in our case, we want money from user to design and develop. Then we want money for prototype manufacturing. Then we want money for delivery too. Among this, would cry foul for any design change sought by user or at best would take our own sweet term to do it.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles