LCA TEJAS MK1 & MK1A: News and Discussion

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
I could get behind this... One already existed for Mig-21 with the R-60 missile called P-62-II twin launcher.
@Kuntal check out this idea.View attachment 246647View attachment 246643
Altered the CCM twin-launcher based on this... will allow 3 CCMs with ASPJ, or MAWS pod & ASPJ with 2 CCMs. Much better than what I initially thought of. Dual-rack Astras fit easily
Idea credits @NutCracker. Render @Kuntal
IMG_20240403_131545.jpg
image (3).jpg
image (4).jpg

My personal favourite would however be the last, replacing the central droptank with the Tejas-unique dual-rack BVRs.
image (1).jpg

Last edited:

NutCracker

Country flag
Altered the CCM twin-launcher based on this... will allow 3 CCMs with ASPJ, or MAWS pod & ASPJ with 2 CCMs. Much better than what I initially thought of. Dual-rack Astras fit easily
View attachment 247732View attachment 247733View attachment 247734
My personal favourite would however be the last, replacing the central droptank with the Tejas-unique dual-rack BVRs.View attachment 247736
If bottom one is possible, it will be a CAP beast..

kamaal

Country flag
We have quietly ignored the delay of 2 years in Uttam radar development and bought the story of 125 flights as some kind of achievement. Typically Indian.
Hiding failure by showing some random figures, love the way everyone bought it and Tarmak even didn't question on this issue.

stat231

Country flag
We have quietly ignored the delay of 2 years in Uttam radar development and bought the story of 125 flights as some kind of achievement. Typically Indian.
Hiding failure by showing some random figures, love the way everyone bought it and Tarmak even didn't question on this issue.
What was the original time-line?

NutCracker

Country flag
21st MK1A was supposed to be installed with Uttam. Now it's 41st or 43rd, they are citing delay because of supply chain issue.
Was 22nd MK1A planned to have 700 TRM or 900 ??
Uttam has been scaled up from 700 to 900 TRM modules.

jai jaganath

Country flag
The reason is jaguar darin 3 upgrade
Uttam is ready for production and service induction
But as we have placed orders for Israeli radars which was on condition from them otherwise they wouldn't provide radar for darin 3 upgrade
So by looking at situation the development authorities thought instead of wasting time and waiting for 2-3 years for present product to get inducted in future better utilise time to make a further refined version download mk1a will get 900 trm modules not the 780 one

Blood+

Country flag
View attachment 247732View attachment 247733View attachment 247734
My personal favourite would however be the last, replacing the central droptank with the Tejas-unique dual-rack BVRs.View attachment 247736
Is it absolutely necessary to carry 3 drop tanks at all times?? Is the range that limited??!!

Ps - Sorry if I sound like a noob; but that's because I AM a noob when it comes to anything that flies.

NutCracker

Country flag
Is it absolutely necessary to carry 3 drop tanks at all times?? Is the range that limited??!!

Ps - Sorry if I sound like a noob; but that's because I AM a noob when it comes to anything that flies.
No, it will give solid 80 minutes of Combat air patrol mission with 2 1000L+ fuel tanks.
And 20-30 minutes if actual combat occurs, which is not bad if we put up large number of these jets.

Blood+

Country flag
No, it will give solid 80 minutes of Combat air patrol mission with 2 1000L+ fuel tanks.
And 20-30 minutes if actual combat occurs, which is not bad if we put up large number of these jets.
No, I mean without them drop tanks!!

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
21st MK1A was supposed to be installed with Uttam. Now it's 41st or 43rd, they are citing delay because of supply chain issue.
Mark1A to abhi nikla hy be..... 21st aane ne time hy.

slayingheaven

Country flag
The reason is jaguar darin 3 upgrade
Uttam is ready for production and service induction
But as we have placed orders for Israeli radars which was on condition from them otherwise they wouldn't provide radar for darin 3 upgrade
So by looking at situation the development authorities thought instead of wasting time and waiting for 2-3 years for present product to get inducted in future better utilise time to make a further refined version download mk1a will get 900 trm modules not the 780 one
So dealing with Israelis is double edged sword?

jai jaganath

Country flag
So dealing with Israelis is double edged sword?
Yes their influence is also very harmful
Be it any sector
If look our small arms although we are incapable of making a proper rifles due to multiple reasons and institutions not blaming any one particular faction but even then I don't think on future we will invest in this sector due to emergence of iwi-adani jv

Similarly in artillery sector institutions are so hesitant to order just 307 atags which is miniscule in front of our overall artillery requirement
Remember drdo chief speaking to media about atags being cleared before fy end
No MCC has been enforced forget clearance before sept-oct this delaying our mordernization
Image the power of Israeli lobby to even force forces to bring requirement of tgs which has criteria which is again found nowhere just to delay and stop atags at 307 only
They have played many more evil games with us in past

NoobWannaLearn

Country flag
Saw a lot of claim/counter claims on uttam radar , timeline related , spec related. Its quite obvious that many are not familiar with the development process, type of project, what product is made in a project, design config freezing, scaling up into final product stage , then finally cleared for first proto lot/LSP lot to the production partner(s) etc. Based on information shared by different sources, many have interpreted in their own understanding about when & what are the things will be made, delay etc.

Actual situation, per Astra Microwave 3rd Q call, wass that DRDO yet to finalise the final configuration, ie decide on no of TRMs , what module to make(GaAs/GAN), among other parameters.
1000022259.png
1000022260.png
1000022261.png
1000022262.png

So, it is clear per the production partner , is that DRDO is yet to make a call with the user about the final configuration of the platform specific Uttam radar variants. You have to remember whatever DRDO showed in def expo etc, that was a prototype, a scalable prototype of Uttam radar, because the Uttam radar project status was changed to a technical demo TD project. It was not user involved mission mode MM project. So the Uttam project delivered the established tech base in the form of a TD radar , whatever TRMs are there is scalable in size for future, be it 500, 600, 700 or more. It has no implication on the number of TRMs that would be in the platform specific versions. The platform specific Uttams for mk1a, mk2 , su30 each will have a specific configuration chosen by specific DRDO technical committees with members likely from DRDO, IAF, academia et al.

Based on that chosen configuration, the production partners will be cleared for making the radar. HAL is the lead integrator for Uttam project, and the other 2-3 companies will then be dcpp with a guaranteed amount of future orders depending on L1/L2. So at present DRDO is in the process of choosing the platform centric configuration by fixing the committee and making the meeting. That will be then converted into the technical manual which will be then passed onto the dcpp partners for perhaps LSP order.

You can see further proof of this in below part
1000022263.png
1000022264.png
1000022265.png

Credits to - marich01 on strategic front forum

The timelines people throw out, all timelines are tentative. It goes through a process even for dev contracts from tender end to award of contract, almost several months long for backend work, site visit, inspection everything. Every deal go through such process.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles