Supercomputing in India

Chinmoy

Country flag
First launch param mahapadama pls we need pre exascale before exascale it would put us comparable to Japan fugaku

I know what param shank is but thier is literally no updates from goi
Why you want updates from Government on C-DAC projects? Government would just give a press release once its done. If you want update on that, a detailed PDF from C-DAC is already available.

Abdus Salem killed

Why you want updates from Government on C-DAC projects? Government would just give a press release once its done. If you want update on that, a detailed PDF from C-DAC is already available.
I have read that detailed pdf it does not give anything on any computer all it does is go on and on about the things we will build no actual knowledge is present in those PDFs

Concard

Country flag
Can someone explain the basic architecture of Super computer?
Super Computer is just like any other computer you have in your home like personal PC or even your phone. Only difference is Super computer has massive processing power. You want to run a simulation of the Universe right from the big bang to the present day Universe? It can be done in 3 months with the powerful Super computer we have now working 24/7. You want to do it with your own PC? Good luck. You will get your results after 100 Trillion years perhaps.

You have one CPU in your PC. Super computer has many thousands or even millions. Each with it's own memory and all are interconnected to solve complex and sophisticated problems. From weather modeling to fluid dynamics to even simulating the tiny parts of the brain can be done on a Super computer. Applications range from civilian to military. Super Computers can also break some encryption codes. Having powerful Super computers is now a necessity if you are serious about Scientific research.

SKC

Country flag
You are basically building a computer with brute processing power.

We achieve it by combining large no of processing nodes (CPU and GPU) together using various architecture.

Processing Units can range from few thousands to over lac in one such installation. OfCourse these systems will require suitable Cooling system and uninterrupted Power supply.

Chinmoy

Country flag
I have read that detailed pdf it does not give anything on any computer all it does is go on and on about the things we will build no actual knowledge is present in those PDFs
I don't know what you have read. But as per what I read, PARAM PADMA is already up and running with MAHAPADMA to be commissioned in 2023 and PARAM SANKH in 2024.

It also gives the technical update on indigenous RUDRA MB and TRINETRA HPC interconnect along with AUM.

WarmongerLSK

Country flag
I don't know what you have read. But as per what I read, PARAM PADMA is already up and running with MAHAPADMA to be commissioned in 2023 and PARAM SANKH in 2024.

It also gives the technical update on indigenous RUDRA MB and TRINETRA HPC interconnect along with AUM.
pls post that PDF here.

Cheran

Country flag

India's AI Supercomputer 'Airawat' Ranked 75th In Global Supercomputing List

1684991967091.png

1684991984750.png

jadoogar

Country flag
I am not a CS or EE person but can add some additional comments to Concard and SKC's comments

1. Regular computer has 1 CPU (central processing unit), and attached memory (RAM, and various cache memories - L1, L2 etc that have much faster access to the CPU each way.

2. You can only make this so fast by (a) increasing clock speed, (b) playing with CPU architecture - design and also CISC, RISC

3. In the past few decades Intel (& other) CPUs also have many "cores" - that many computing units on the same chip - perhaps sharing L1, L2.. cache and memory...
Also may have associated GPUs (graphic processing units) in order to offload graphics load off the main CPUs

4. Multi-cores only work when the task can be split into several parallel tasks - and the results are then perhaps combined to give the output.

5. In Supercomputers - you now add many many CPUs - so basically a processing array that process massive computations in parallel. They may have independent or shared memory (place where the program, data and intermediate results are temporarily stored). It only works when the task can be done in parallel -
examples are solutions of partial differential equations which ultimately boil down to inversion of a matrix - either full or a "band" matrix. There are probably other examples ..
Needed for this in addition to hardware wiring is the architecture and software (e.g. for CPUs and memory to work to be used fast and effectively) -

so architecture, memory and cpu interface and software (the operating system) are needed to build this thing. India has plenty of expertise to build these - for tasks that may be needed. CPU and memory and interconnects are available off the shelf
----

This is my understanding - a decades ago Chemical Engineer - who has never worked in EE/CS - except for that one programming course on the Ganga plain :)

But I am pretty sure that I am close to what it is

Physx32

Country flag
The basic design philosophy of modern supercomputers is "massive parallelism". So, you don't have a single massively powerful CPU, but a large array of CPUs/GPUs working in parallel.

For e.g., Frontier (1.1 EFLOPs) uses 9408 AMD Epyc 64C/128T CPUs and 37632 AMD Instinct MI250x GPUs. Here, the CPU architecture used is X86_64. You can also use ARM, RISC V, etc.

You can also build a supercomputing network over the internet by connecting thousands of normal PCs. Example:

Haldilal

लड़ते लड़ते जीना है, लड़ते लड़ते मरना है
Country flag

SKC

Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars

The National Supercomputing policy made back in 2017-17 is now showing fruits.

Well, it takes really long time to get one unit installed and activated.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles