ISRO General News and Updates

Abhijeet Dey

Country flag
Any takeaways from chairman Somanath's talk today?
We Should Explore Space When Earth Is Still Livable: Isro Chief

Exploring Beyond Earth: ISRO Chairman Advocates for Planetary Exploration and Migration

skywatcher

Country flag
Why are you sad? Why are you mentioning this? Stay off this thread.
I'm skywatcher. I follow major global space news.

A1: I mention this because I need the launch date for statistics.

A2: I'm sad because no one knows the launch date.

A3: You have the right to state your personal opinion that I should stay off the thread or not while I have the right to track every major space mission as before for the past ten years.

Q: I'm not sure if a mere launch date is still considered as a state secret in India. If so, just ignore me.

i_f25.png

DumbPilot

Country flag
so no one knows the launch date. sad.
Haven't seen much news about Mangalyaan. Probably(maybe?) still in the finalization stage.

The most recent news:
S. Somnath considers the MOM proposals(so far) to be unsatisfactory. The launch date has been prescribed as NET Sep 2024, but there has been little information about the progress of the development of the sensors, etc

From the French Space Agency:

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Haven't seen much news about Mangalyaan. Probably(maybe?) still in the finalization stage.

The most recent news:
S. Somnath considers the MOM proposals(so far) to be unsatisfactory. The launch date has been prescribed as NET Sep 2024, but there has been little information about the progress of the development of the sensors, etc

From the French Space Agency:
Old news. Neither of Shukryaan-1 or Mangalyaan-2 is planned in 2024 or 25.

Cheran

Country flag
‘I was diagnosed on the day of Aditya L1 launch’: ISRO chief S Somnath shares experience of struggling with cancer

On the day of the launch of Aditya L1 mission, he got a scan done and was shocked to learn about a growth in his stomach. Further scans at a hospital in Chennai revealed he has a hereditary disease.

1709558387529.png

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Precise Air Quality Monitoring with OCM-3 Aerosol Optical Depth Product from EOS-6 Satellite
March 4, 2024
ISRO has developed and validated an Ocean Colour Monitor (OCM-3) Aerosol Optical Depth (AOD) product. This data product enables determining the intricacies of air quality dynamics over the landmass of the Indian subcontinent. It is developed using the SAC AErosol Retrieval (SAER) algorithm, an innovative tool. It utilises EOS-6 satellite data.
The product is accessible for researchers and students through MOSDAC after the formal registration. This data repository beckons researchers to unravel air quality intricacies like never before. The data serves as a benchmarking air quality simulation model, providing valuable insights for scholars and policymakers towards a cleaner and healthier future.
This advancement is enabled by the remarkable 1 km spatial resolution of the OCM-3 onboard EOS-6. The satellite EOS-6, launched in November 2022, is equipped with a state-of-the-art OCM sensor, marking a significant leap in our ability to monitor atmospheric aerosols.
OCM-3 AOD product data provides unprecedented insights into aerosol concentrations across the Indian landmass. It delves deep into the particulate matter suspended in the atmosphere, empowering researchers to navigate the complexities of air quality dynamics with precision. Its high-resolution data reveals the dynamics of particulate matter (PM2.5/PM10), offering insights into their distribution and transport over metropolitan areas. Beyond the Indian skies, the OCM-3 AOD product serves as a global resource for monitoring aerosols worldwide, offering insights into aerosol blankets from diverse sources such as South Asian fires and Canadian wildfires.
OCM-3 AOD product is rigorously validated against ground measurements. A comprehensive validation spanning four months from January to April 2023, comparing aerosol measurements with ground truth from AERONET stations over the Indian landmass, confirms the credibility of the data. Extensive validation of the OCM-3 AOD product over India and other South Asian countries has shown excellent performance with correlations as high as 0.8.
As case studies, the recent investigations unveil a notable increase in AOD values post-October 13, 2023, particularly over the Indo-Gangetic Plain. Delhi consistently exhibits high AOD values, spotlighting the enduring impact of pollution during and after Diwali. Mid-December witnessed some improvement in air quality, followed by another spike in AOD levels during mid-January 2024. The AOD and fire products, coupled with trajectory modelling, corroborate extensive fire activities, underscoring the role of agricultural residue burning in severe air pollution.
Thus, OCM-3 AOD offers a comprehensive perspective on shaping a future where every breath signifies progress. Stakeholders are encouraged to register at MOSDAC, explore and contribute to advancing the precise monitoring of the air quality.
1709655823917.png

OCM-3 AOD product (1 km resolution) on January 31, 2024
1709655996660.png

1709656231273.png

1709657205341.png

1709657217234.png

1709657242707.png

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Bhuvan Tool for Greening and Restoration of Wastelands with Agroforestry (GROW)
February 19, 2024
In 2014, India introduced the National Agroforestry Policy to improve sustainability and profitability through alternative land use systems. This effort aligns with global and national commitments such as the Paris Agreement, Bonn Challenge, UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), UN Convention to Combat Desertification (UNCCD), and the Green India Mission.
India has developed a Bhuvan-based tool to assess Agroforestry Suitability. It was a collaborative effort led by NITI Aayog, with NRSC/ISRO, SAC/ISRO, and five other national and international institutions. This tool integrates thematic geospatial datasets like Wastelands, Land Use Land Cover, Waterbodies, Soil Organic Carbon, and Slope to establish the Agroforestry Suitability Index (ASI) for national-level prioritization.
An analysis revealed that about 6.18% and 4.91% of India's land are highly and moderately suitable for agroforestry, respectively. Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, and Telangana emerged as the top large-sized states for agroforestry suitability, while Jammu and Kashmir, Manipur, and Nagaland ranked highest among the medium-sized states.
NITI Aayog released the Bhuvan-based tool on February 12, 2024. The portal allows universal access to state and district-level agroforestry data.
PIB release

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
INSAT-3DS Mission: First glimpse of the beauty and complexity of Earth through modern Imager and Sounder payloads onboard INSAT-3DS.

This data serves as crucial input for Indian scientists for mereological studies, weather forecasts, and understanding atmospheric dynamics.

1710162701795.png

1710162710361.png

1710162718598.png

1710162727278.png

Abhijeet Dey

Country flag
Thanks.

Thats true! Only when DMK or Stalin is 'chief artist' of a space lunch port, there would be Chinese flags on Indian soil. :lol:
Sorry for off topic but I just want to know why people in Tamil Nadu voted for DMK?

omaebakabaka

Sorry for off topic but I just want to know why people in Tamil Nadu voted for DMK?
Yes OT, most of the south has lost it except a bit of kannada people....I find kannada's most calm and collected and got their bearings correct in general. Rest of the southern population is generally trash from their politicians to common people both educated and semi educated.....rural farming people are just ignorant and liquor driven. Compare that to north or west, even a cab driver in Indore or Uttarakhand is proud and open about being sanathani....every house has a saffron or bajarang bali flag, most in UP and MP sport tilak and choti and most in Rajasthan feed cow first before they eat. Truly disappointed as south has some of the richest art, temples, forts and traditions in entire hindu culture even compared to North in some aspects. Now just trash quality people electing absolute trash. They act the same overseas too...along with Punjabis and Bengalis, Delhites and Pundits making up the rest,,,,one more thing and you can move it to chit chat

TN and Telugu are most petty and narrow minded in my opinion....no consciousness in the majority of that population....kerala hindus are few and non confrontattional as they basically given up and ready to take up a cross or get their lund circumcised...

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles