Kaveri Engine

Spitfire9

Country flag
I imagine that a usable Kaveri substitute for GE F404 is moving from the realms of a dream to an attainable reality. It would be good if it could start replacing F404 in Tejas Mk1A before production of the mooted 97 extra IAF frames were completed. With around 200 Tejas Mk1 and Mk1A in IAF service, that number of replacement engines would be needed during their service life. I guess it would be worth putting extra investment into completing a usable Kaveri ASAP.

samsaptaka

तस्मात् उत्तिष्ठ कौन्तेय युद्धाय कृतनिष्चय
Country flag
I imagine that a usable Kaveri substitute for GE F404 is moving from the realms of a dream to an attainable reality. It would be good if it could start replacing F404 in Tejas Mk1A before production of the mooted 97 extra IAF frames were completed. With around 200 Tejas Mk1 and Mk1A in IAF service, that number of replacement engines would be needed during their service life. I guess it would be worth putting extra investment into completing a usable Kaveri ASAP.
Wish GoI and MOD babus thought the same way

shade

Country flag
You would be surprised.
Kaveri and it's variants like the marine gas turbine and drone version should have got the same attention that the nuclear program and ICBM programs got but alas everyone is twiddling thumbs and praying that Uncle Sam gives GE F414 with screwdrivergiri ToT

Aniruddha Mulay

Kaveri and it's variants like the marine gas turbine and drone version should have got the same attention that the nuclear program and ICBM programs got but alas everyone is twiddling thumbs and praying that Uncle Sam gives GE F414 with screwdrivergiri ToT
There was a plan way back in 2008 to re-engine the Rajput class DDG but that never happened

Chinmoy

Country flag
Both got same amount of attention.

Satish Sharma

Country flag
What are some of the bigger reasons behind why Kaveri is not mated to Tejas?
We did not pay much attention to metallurgy.
No test bed.
Now we have developed many technologies like Scb. Various coatings. That drilling holes in SCB for cooling too. Forgot the name of process.
Recently I heard initial design studies of kaveri core suggests it can generate 57/91kn.
3:30

Last edited:

Chinmoy

Country flag
What are some of the bigger reasons behind why Kaveri is not mated to Tejas? I am assuming this is mostly due to the fact that the Tejas was already frozen with the GE F404. Are there hopes to use Kaveri in something like the HLFT-42/other future fighters?
Bottom line....

Kaveri is not a stable engine.

Yes, Kaveri would eventually come. But in what thrust class, that we have to see.

Satish Sharma

Country flag
Bottom line....

Kaveri is not a stable engine.

Yes, Kaveri would eventually come. But in what thrust class, that we have to see.
Why it is not stable if it would have been a unstable design why would it have been used in ghatak program.
problem is for sustaining afterburning thrusts for longer duration.
I'm getting gut filling FF of ghtak will be powered by dry f404.
Ghatak components have been manufactured.
Wouldn't take much time to assembly

Chinmoy

Country flag
Why it is not stable if it would have been a unstable design why would it have been used in ghatak program.
problem is for sustaining afterburning thrusts for longer duration.
I'm getting gut filling FF of ghtak will be powered by dry f404.
Ghatak components have been manufactured.
Wouldn't take much time to assembly
First thing first.

It is being contemplated that its dry variant would be used in Ghatak, but Ghatak program as of itself is yet to be sanctioned. Its a work in progress.

By stable I meant, although it is giving stable thrust, but its weight is still an issue. For Ghatak with just the dry thrust variant, it would be bit low, but that has to be certified yet. But for Tejas, the overall weight has be cut down on wet variant too. So NO, its not yet a stable engine and needs work to be done on it.

Satish Sharma

Country flag
First thing first.

It is being contemplated that its dry variant would be used in Ghatak, but Ghatak program as of itself is yet to be sanctioned. Its a work in progress.

By stable I meant, although it is giving stable thrust, but its weight is still an issue. For Ghatak with just the dry thrust variant, it would be bit low, but that has to be certified yet. But for Tejas, the overall weight has be cut down on wet variant too. So NO, its not yet a stable engine and needs work to be done on it.
So it's overweight and not unstable engine..
There is also work in progress. Engine weight will be brought down below 1100kg..

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles