MQ9 Predator Acquisition from U.S, News Updates and Discussions

TopWatcher

Country flag
An academic question
I believe that the Iranians took control of an then state of the art Global Hawk UAV and even managed to land it inside their country.
Can you confirm the incident.

An end result was that the Pentagon almost abandoned that platform. Retired that aircraft. Please confirm the news.
I may be mistaken.

Now can the Chinese do a similar act on the 120 million dollars MQ9B even if they were flying quite away from the Chinese border. Take control of the UAV and get it to land in Tibet.

120 millions going down.

If instead we bought more of the P8i or something similar(manned by humans) would they be able to even consider an remote hijack.

What is the cost of an P8i as compared to the MQ9B.

But one thing is clear. On sea the Sea Guardians are undoubtedly an Force Multiplier. No questions about its utility.

We need to reverse engineer that system and develop an indigenous analogue.

But is it wise to pay so much for the land flying version.
I dont know. Is our institutions building blocks not much matured, that DRDO not able to produce this type of technology.

Still seems DRDO are much behind ?

Sad still we are much behind US/Russia in defense technology.

Last edited:

Tridev123

Country flag
I dont know. Is our institutions building blocks not much matured, that DRDO not able to produce this type of technology.

Still seems DRDO are much behind ?
Well, the big question is
Can a remote controlled UAV ever be hijacked.
It should have a data link with several levels of encryption.
But if someone is able to break the encryption can he command the UAV to perform as he wishes.

Because it is a bloody expensive UAV(MQ9B).
Can we afford to lose it in a hijack.

Can the Chinese have the capability to do something like this.
Is it totally science fiction and no UAV can be actually hijacked.
Remember there is no human brain controlling the aircraft on a real time basis.
Everything depends on the on board computer and the communication network between the ground operator and the UAV.

Azaad

Country flag
oh bhai. kuch bhi pelte hai log
Well , evidently you're among the ones who'd believe those operating the F-35 have full independence of operation too , isn't it ?

For instance all those acoustic thermal & RF signals captured by a F-35 belonging to any given country's AF of a rival AF or other makes of FA in one's own inventory are the sole proprietary property of that nation in question. It just doesn't get transmitted back to servers back in the US.

binayak95

Country flag
Well , you're among the ones who'd believe those operating the F-35 have full independence of operation too , isn't it ?

For instance all those acoustic thermal & RF signals captured by a F-35 belonging to any given country's AF of a rival AF or other makes of FA in one's own inventory are the sole proprietary property of that nation in question. It just doesn't get transmitted back to servers back in the US.
I am one of those who has seen the results of US supplied equipment when it mattered. When the balloon went up along the LAC, NOTHING in Indian inventory gave us the intel we needed other than the P8I and the on LEASE Sea guardians. Both of which were being flown from INS Rajali and both of whose data is securedly stored there on the base in off network servers.

And speaking of data, you think anything on the modern battlefield is a secret anymore? To the US of A of all countries?

Just how many frigging satellites they have up there?
The snooping that CIA carries on global internet traffic alone is scary good - and India is a nation who's internet sense is worse than my grandmom's.

When it comes to weighing the pros and cons of buying these birds, its a no brainer.

That 4 billion USD will be recovered in 10 years of flying as you conserve the flight hours of your expensive P8Is and let the MQ9Bs chock up 100s of thousands of hours - and grab enough SIGINT and ELINT data about every single chinese and paki sub, ship and everything inbetween to get a kill track in 3 seconds.

Azaad

Country flag
I am one of those who has seen the results of US supplied equipment when it mattered. When the balloon went up along the LAC, NOTHING in Indian inventory gave us the intel we needed other than the P8I and the on LEASE Sea guardians. Both of which were being flown from INS Rajali and both of whose data is securedly stored there on the base in off network servers.

And speaking of data, you think anything on the modern battlefield is a secret anymore? To the US of A of all countries?

Just how many frigging satellites they have up there?
The snooping that CIA carries on global internet traffic alone is scary good - and India is a nation who's internet sense is worse than my grandmom's.

When it comes to weighing the pros and cons of buying these birds, its a no brainer.

That 4 billion USD will be recovered in 10 years of flying as you conserve the flight hours of your expensive P8Is and let the MQ9Bs chock up 100s of thousands of hours - and grab enough SIGINT and ELINT data about every single chinese and paki sub, ship and everything inbetween to get a kill track in 3 seconds.
Congratulations on being the only one out here who's been exposed to the frightful performance of those platforms !

Yet rahaa inaam !

images (41).jpeg

Btw - you've already assumed I'm against the MQ-9 or the P-8i haven't you ?

Besides for all the wonderful performances of those birds ( which is why we got them in the first place ) we've gotten ourselves / will be equipping ourselves with & the data it captures , are completely insulated from the US , isn't it ? You guarantee it .

That allies of the US expressing deep concerns over the amount of control the US exercises over platforms like the F-35 especially but also other ones like P-8i , the different variants of the Predators or any other US made advanced platforms , which in turn were brushed away or ignored by the DoD or the USAF was all about the unnecessary paranoia of those allies.

The US is a very honest & just player in these matters which just doesn't indulge in this kind of chicanery at all .

Javelin_Sam

Country flag
The Government of India has requested to buy thirty-one (31) MQ-9B Sky Guardian aircraft; one hundred sixty-one (161) Embedded Global Positioning & Inertial Navigation Systems (EGIs); thirty-five (35) L3 Rio Grande Communications Intelligence Sensor Suites; one hundred seventy (170) AGM-114R Hellfire missiles; sixteen (16) M36E9 Hellfire Captive Air Training Missiles (CATM); three hundred ten (310) GBU-39B/B Laser Small Diameter Bombs (LSDB); and eight (8) GBU-39B/B LSDB Guided Test Vehicles (GTVs) with live fuzes. Also included are Certifiable Ground Control Stations; TPE-331-10-GD engines; M299 Hellfire missile launchers; KIV-77 cryptographic appliques and other Identification Friend or Foe (IFF) equipment; KOR-24A Small Tactical Terminals (STT); AN/SSQ-62F, AN/SSQ-53G, and AN/SSQ-36 sonobuoys; ADU-891/E Adapter Group Test Sets; Common Munitions Built-In-Test (BIT) Reprogramming Equipment (CMBRE); GBU-39B/B tactical training rounds, Weapons Load Crew Trainers, and Reliability Assessment Vehicles-Instrumented; Portable Pre-flight/Post-flight Equipment (P3E); CCM-700A encryption devices; KY-100M Narrowband/wideband
terminals; KI-133 cryptographic units; AN/PYQ-10 Simple Key Loaders; Automatic Identification System (AIS) transponders; ROVER 6Si and TNR2x transceivers; MR6000 ultra high frequency (UHF) and very high frequency (VHF) radios; Selex SeaSpray Active Electronically Scanned Array (AESA) surveillance radars; HISAR-300 Radars; SNC 4500 Auto Electronic Surveillance Measures (ESM) Systems; SAGE 750 ESM systems; Due Regard Radars (DRR); MX-20 Electro-Optical Infrared (EO-IR) Laser Target Designators (LTDs); Ku-Band SATCOM GAASI Transportable Earth Stations (GATES); C-Band Line-of-Sight (LOS) Ground Data Terminals; AN/DPX-7 IFF transponders; Compact Multi-band Data Links (CMDL); initial spare and repair parts, consumables, accessories, and repair and return support; secure communications, precision navigation, and cryptographic equipment; munitions support and support equipment; testing and integration support and equipment; classified and unclassified software delivery and support; classified and unclassified publications and technical documentation; personnel training and training equipment; transportation support; warranties; studies and surveys; U.S. Government and contractor engineering, technical, and logistics support services; and other related elements of logistics and program support. The estimated total cost is $3.99 billion

Javelin_Sam

Country flag
The Government of India has requested to buy thirty-one (31) MQ-9B Sky Guardian aircraft; one hundred sixty-one (161) Embedded Global Positioning & Inertial Navigation Systems (EGIs); thirty-five (35) L3 Rio Grande Communications Intelligence Sensor Suites; one hundred seventy (170) AGM-114R Hellfire missiles; sixteen (16) M36E9 Hellfire Captive Air Training Missiles (CATM); three hundred ten (310) GBU-39B/B Laser Small Diameter Bombs (LSDB); and eight (8) GBU-39B/B LSDB Guided Test Vehicles (GTVs) with live fuzes. Also included are Certifiable Ground Control Stations; TPE-331-10-GD engines; M299 Hellfire missile launchers; KIV-77 cryptographic appliques and other Identification Friend or Foe (IFF) equipment; KOR-24A Small Tactical Terminals (STT); AN/SSQ-62F, AN/SSQ-53G, and AN/SSQ-36 sonobuoys; ADU-891/E Adapter Group Test Sets; Common Munitions Built-In-Test (BIT) Reprogramming Equipment (CMBRE); GBU-39B/B tactical training rounds, Weapons Load Crew Trainers, and Reliability Assessment Vehicles-Instrumented; Portable Pre-flight/Post-flight Equipment (P3E); CCM-700A encryption devices; KY-100M Narrowband/wideband
terminals; KI-133 cryptographic units; AN/PYQ-10 Simple Key Loaders; Automatic Identification System (AIS) transponders; ROVER 6Si and TNR2x transceivers; MR6000 ultra high frequency (UHF) and very high frequency (VHF) radios; Selex SeaSpray Active Electronically Scanned Array (AESA) surveillance radars; HISAR-300 Radars; SNC 4500 Auto Electronic Surveillance Measures (ESM) Systems; SAGE 750 ESM systems; Due Regard Radars (DRR); MX-20 Electro-Optical Infrared (EO-IR) Laser Target Designators (LTDs); Ku-Band SATCOM GAASI Transportable Earth Stations (GATES); C-Band Line-of-Sight (LOS) Ground Data Terminals; AN/DPX-7 IFF transponders; Compact Multi-band Data Links (CMDL); initial spare and repair parts, consumables, accessories, and repair and return support; secure communications, precision navigation, and cryptographic equipment; munitions support and support equipment; testing and integration support and equipment; classified and unclassified software delivery and support; classified and unclassified publications and technical documentation; personnel training and training equipment; transportation support; warranties; studies and surveys; U.S. Government and contractor engineering, technical, and logistics support services; and other related elements of logistics and program support. The estimated total cost is $3.99 billion
Whenever a deal is announced, some milk tooth babies divide the total deal cost by the number of platforms.

RoaringTigerHiddenDragon

Country flag
‘Negative sayers of this deal including myself; eat your heart out. The deal is 99% done deal.

After so much of negativity; what brought US to bypass Congressional objections?

My guess is that India acted as a policemen to the Indian Ocean to ward off pirates and hijackers. That relieves US and Briton so much pressure to police this Ocean when they are extremely busy with China threat to Taiwan; Russian Invasion and threats in the Black Sea. With this equipment, India can police the Indian Ocean better……. Bravo.
Nothing short term. Long term US-India naval strategy. Detecting Chinese submarines in the Indian Ocean helps both us and Amreeka. It is all alignment of interests.

RoaringTigerHiddenDragon

Country flag
still the price tho . 120 million drone :lehappy: , ~50 mil for tejas rite .
Agree. This is probably the most expensive per unit air frame we have bought. Massively expensive. Is $120 million HALE platform really worth it, unless it comes with critical technology transfer?. I hope the GoI knows what the fuck it is doing. This is an offset for not effecting S400 sanctions? Seems like it. I think the best path for us is Adani’s Israeli drones. At least try and reverse engineer the MQ9Bs.

Hari Sud

Country flag
Agree. This is probably the most expensive per unit air frame we have bought. Massively expensive. Is $120 million HALE platform really worth it, unless it comes with critical technology transfer?. I hope the GoI knows what the fuck it is doing. This is an offset for not effecting S400 sanctions? Seems like it. I think the best path for us is Adani’s Israeli drones. At least try and reverse engineer the MQ9Bs.
Needed urgently and price includes many other items which are included in the media list published.

mamamia12

Although I hated the ripping off and would rather invest that money in indigenous r&d. But, there isn't any viable platform alternative. I mean Predator and Tapas are in different categories aren't they. The Sensors inside a drone are as important as the Platform itself. i doubt our Tapas had such advanced sensors. Hope we learn something from this deal in future much more about the plethora of Systems listed in the deal and making it ourselves in future. As another member pointed out, although they are expensive initially, we will recover the cost through extensive usage of it since American Air Systems are quite reliable in the long run.

Hari Sud

Country flag
Although I hated the ripping off and would rather invest that money in indigenous r&d. But, there isn't any viable platform alternative. I mean Predator and Tapas are in different categories aren't they. The Sensors inside a drone are as important as the Platform itself. i doubt our Tapas had such advanced sensors. Hope we learn something from this deal in future much more about the plethora of Systems listed in the deal and making it ourselves in future. As another member pointed out, although they are expensive initially, we will recover the cost through extensive usage of it since American Air Systems are quite reliable in the long run.
‘Indigenous R&D failed in Tapas. No need to talk about it. This is urgent acquisition with Chinese menance on the horizon.

mokoman

Country flag
so ajai shukla was right ? . what bullshit is this

Sen. Ben Cardin, a Democrat who chairs the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, said he had ended his "hold" on the agreement now that President Joe Biden's administration had agreed to fully investigate an Indian assassination plot on U.S. soil.

:dude: sure there will be more demands , to actually sell us the thing

shade

Country flag

Sen. Ben Cardin, a Democrat who chairs the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, said he had ended his "hold" on the agreement now that President Joe Biden's administration had agreed to fully investigate an Indian assassination plot on U.S. soil.

Political theatre for their constituents, read this article for an explanation

TLDR is these Senators and Representatives do all drama to appease their jihadi/chinki/khalistani constituents, vote banks but the final say is by the MIC lobby for $$$$ and the State Dept + Pentagon bureaucrats dependant on geopolitical interests

mokoman

Country flag
Political theatre for their constituents, read this article for an explanation

TLDR is these Senators and Representatives do all drama to appease their jihadi/chinki/khalistani constituents, vote banks but the final say is by the MIC lobby for $$$$ and the State Dept + Pentagon bureaucrats dependant on geopolitical interests
hope thats the case . pannu assassination is some nonsense made up by cia/nsa/deep state

senator that was blocking sale wanted "investigation" into "assassination" , and biden agreed . this is all act by deep state , next step they will want "joint investigation" , practically will want us to bend the knee .

shade

Country flag
hope thats the case . pannu assassination is some nonsense made up by cia/nsa/deep state

senator that was blocking sale wanted "investigation" into "assassination" , and biden agreed . this is all act by deep state , next step they will want "joint investigation" , practically will want us to bend the knee .
Knee bending demand would be more effective by targeting the GE F404 engine deal, not this.
This deal is skewed towards benefitting them more than us.

The Pannu drama is a part of a "case building" initiative for long term "punishment" of India along with all the human rights violations drama, fasicism, democratic backsliding etc bs

IndianHawk

Country flag

So long us congress is making demands from biden it doesn't concern us. Shukla implied India will have to investigate into it.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles